Friday, June 21, 2013

Go Smoothly Smoothie

Back in October, I wrote about constipation in The C Word.  Transplant meds seem to have made the problem worse. And there doesn't seem to be a happy balance. If I take one dose of Miralax, I get stopped up. If I take two doses, then I'm in the bathroom making unworldly sounds. 

It's a tough job trying to find that balance. I finally got so frustrated with being at one extreme or the other.  I think it had to do with the transplant team telling me that I just have to experiment with the Miralax to find the right amount to take. So instead of taking 2 doses try 1 1/2. Well 1 1/2 was still too little and 1 3/4 had me back in the bathroom making those noises. It had gotten to the point where SB was calling me his "Little Bathroom Lady". So, I gave up the battle with Miralax and decided to take things into my own hands. 

So far this smoothie seems to be working. I'm not feeling stopped up. And it doesn't sound like an exorcism when I'm in the bathroom. 

Ingredients:

1 Apple cored and cut into chunks (use any type you like)
1 Banana (even better if roasted)
10 Blackberries
10 Raspberries
10 Blueberries
5 Strawberries, hulled and halved
Juice of 1 Orange (I use naval)
1/4 cup Plain Yogurt with live cultures
1 scoop Miralax

Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. 

Notes: 

Can add juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime for a more citrus flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment