Friday, April 12, 2013

Transplant Log

This entry is an ongoing work. Instead of putting short blog entries for quick updates, I'll add to this entry. The most recent updates are at the top. Please keep checking back.

July 18, 2013

Good appointment at the transplant center. Have a lung function of 88%. So excited. Have to have my first ever sinus surgery though. Not looking forward to it. 

July 14, 2013

SB took me out on a birthday picnic. Nice way to celebrate. Being outside with nachos from La Cocina. Looking forward to more birthdays. 

July 13, 2013

First birthday with my new lungs!!!

June 21, 2013

SB and I went on a much needed date. We went to see Man of Steel. It was AWESOME!  

June 20, 2013

Got my butt handed to me in Pulmonary Rehab. My incline was upped to 2.5%. My legs are feeling it. Planning on letting my body rest tomorrow.  

June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!  I spent the day with SB, picking blackberries. Nice to be able to enjoy blackberry picking again. 

June 14, 2014

An article about my dad and me is on Yahoo News. I'm having trouble with copying the link.  Do a search for Newfound Dad.

June 13, 2013

One more month till my birthday. At Stanford still. Cytogam infusion. Blood sugar dropped to 47. I think I did too much walking. At least I'm already at the hospital. When I told SB what my levels where, he shoved a spoonful of eggs and sausage in my mouth. I'm going to feel drained for the rest of the day.  I didn't even feel this coming on. I just suddenly felt like I was starving. Like "Give me food, or I'll gnaw your arm off" staving. 

June 12, 2013

Time for an Aredia infusion. Mostly tired from the ride here. Can't wait for the infusion to be over with so I can take a much needed nap.

June 8, 2013

Per doctor's permission, I attended my Bible Study's 5K. It was great seeing everyone again. Most I hadn't seen since our annual Christmas party. I was nervous since I still have to keep the mask on. I get mixed reactions. 

June 6, 2013

Sternal Precautions have been lifted! I still have to be careful, but now I get to work out these flabby abs. I now weigh a hefty 94lbs. I am finally in my healthy range. I haven't been at this level in a few years. Long day. Saw the endocrinologist as well. My A1c results haven't come in yet, but she seemed happy with how my sugars are being controlled. And in other good news, they didn't find any rejection in my bronchoscopy. So the rejection I had seems to have cleared up. Thanks for all the prayers. 

May 23, 2013

Cytogam today. Way too early to be getting up. I find it funny that they call the infusion center the ATIC, when its more like the belly of the hospital. Don't get me wrong, the staff if great.  So far it seems that I get reception anywhere else in the hospital but the ATIC. This day will end with me being a groggy mess. Thankfully, SB is here to keep me in line.

May 22, 2013

Bronchoscopy seems to have gone well. I woke up towards the end and felt an odd pinching feeling from the inside. That was where they took one of the samples. There was some irritation in my throat tissue so the doctors cleaned it up and took a sample just in case. Mostly just starving. Coughing up some blood, but that's normal. Now it's the waiting game for the results. 

May 20, 2013

SB is officially on vacation. Unfortunately, part of it will be spent with me getting my second Bronch and a Cytogam infusion at Stanford. 

May 16, 2013

Started Pulmonary Rehab again. Different than the one at Sequoa, but the therapists are nice. One even worked with SB's mother back in the day. 

May 1, 2013

Had an EPIC date with SB. This was months in planning. Definitely glad to be home.

April 30, 2013

I'm officially home!

April 26, 2013

Some good news today. I get to go home on Tuesday! Still have to come out to Stanford for appointments, but I am well enough to finish recovery in my own home. My lung function is up to 68%, which is a huge improvement from less than 20%. I also made it up to a pace of 1.7 mph in rehab yesterday. So things are looking good. I'll find out if the rejection is going down at the end of May.

April 24, 2013

So doctors want to wait till May 10 to see if my rejection clears up before sending me home. And with all my walking, I have shin splints. So I get to ice my shins and find special inserts for my shoes. Haven't had to worry about sports' injuries in years :o) 

 
April 12, 2013



Got the results to the bronchscopy. There's minimal rejection. Doctor said it's normal and will most likely clear up on its own. Will check again in May. At least it's early enough to begin treatment if needed. On a good note: if I keep at this rate of improvement, I'll get to go home at the end of the month. That's two months earlier than planned. Keep up the prayers everyone. They're helping.



April 11, 2013



Bronchscopy went well. Waiting to hear what the results are.



April 11, 2013



Had a great day at Pulmonary Rehab. Hit a pace of 1.5 mph on the treadmill and maintained 98% oxygen. All this over a 28 minute time span. Pretty exciting.



April 09, 2013



Have my first bronchscopy tomorrow. That's where surgeons take a sample of cells from my lungs to check for early signs of rejection. Please pray that everything goes well.



March 25, 2013



First day at rehab. It was great. I got to use the treadmill. Fifteen minutes and still 100% oxygen. In the words of my old room mate, "Woot, Woot."



March 22, 2013



Goodbyes are always hard. After having a great four day visit with SB, he had to go home. Can't wait for his next visit.



March 15, 2013



Survived my first couple of days in Patient Housing. I'll be here for the next few months (Redwood City). Actually, it's great to be out of the hospital. Eating my fill of Macaroni and Cheese. First clinic appointment was today and doctors say I'm doing great. Just need to eat more protein to help with the healing. Any excuse to eat more meat. Missing everyone back home.



March 13, 2013



Finally out and in patient housing.



March 13, 2013



I get to leave the hospital today.



March 12, 2013



Just got my final chest tube out!



March 12, 2013



I might get to go to patient housing in the next couple of days. Just waiting on word from the surgeon and when I can finish my training.



March 11, 2013



Some possible good news. If things go well tonight (air pocket not getting bigger and draining continues to slow down) my final chest tube will be removed tomorrow. Praying for it to go well.



March 09, 2013


Had a much better day. Slept all night. Still working on the pain. Still dealing with side effects from the meds. Doctors are leaving the chest tube in for a couple more days to see if that will handle the air pocket. If that doesn't work they'll try something else. I'm hoping the tube will work. The more that doctors have to do, the longer my hospital stay. I am gaining strength though. Got a foot petal to work out with when I'm in the room. Still trying to get used to wearing a respirator. Another good note: my right side has healed enough that the dressing was removed today. Prayers for continued healing and another good day tomorrow. Thanks everyone.



March 08, 2013

Had a few tough days. Was getting short of breath. Doctors found out that I have an air pocket preventing me from expanding my left lung. Good news is that my last chest tube is in that lung so I don't have to go through the pain of having one put in. They're using it to force the lung to expand. Prayers for healing would be appreciated. I'm also experiencing some unpleasant side effects from the meds. So prayers for strength and peace during this time are definitely needed. On a good note, my appetite is slowly increasing. I look forward to my daily walks. Been keeping up with my therapies. Looking forward to being well enough for patient housing. Thanks to everyone for their prayers.



March 05, 2013

Monday was a bit harsh. I woke up with a dry cough and tightness in my chest. The good news is that we seem to have found a way to control the pain. And even though I was coughing a lot, my oxygen levels remained perfect. There's no infection. Today I am much better. Already had my first walk. The coughing has settled. I am sleeping at night. So even though there's been a set back, I'm still improving. Alicia has been able to settle in the transplant housing. It's a blessing that something became available so soon. Continue the support and prayers.



March 03, 2013



They pulled out the final neck catheter last night! And the doctor gave me a little something for sleep. Got more rest last night than I have in the last week. Still tired but it's expected. And we are shooting for two walks today. Pain is starting to be managed. Still need sugar levels to get under control and my legs to stop swelling. But we are making progress. Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers.



March 02, 2013



Posted by SB:

A Solana update: For those of you who don't know yet, Solana has been moved into the unit that is a step-down from the ICU. She has been recovering by leaps and bounds and is already walking around as part of her physical therapy! Her main focus right now is pain management and lung exercises. Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts, prayers, and love over the past week. It has meant so much to Solana and I as she is recovering!



March 01, 2013



I want to thank everyone for their prayers. There's still a long trek ahead, but doctors are happy with my progress. Right now we are working on pain management and mobility. Now that I am out of ICU, I can answer messages directly. Please keep up with the prayers.



February 28, 2013



Posted by Sister:

Hello
Solana is still in Intermediate ICU. She is doing so well though!! The surgery took a lot out of her so she is working on building her strength back up to be able to do simple tasks on her own. Solana is moving fast! We will be able to give her room info and contact info when she is moved to the floor and has more strength. Also, we do not have an address until Sunday. When we get that I will post as well so you can send love and support that way. Thank you for your support and prayers!



February 24, 2013



Posted by SB:

Friends and family, I am happy to say that Solana is recovering swiftly and strongly! They have removed the breathing tube that was down her throat, and she is now breathing on her own with her NEW LUNGS!!! She is awake and alert, and fully coherent! Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers, and love. It really means a lot to Solana. Please continue praying for a full recovery!



February 24, 2013



Posted by SB:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. The operation was a success and Solana is now recovering and breathing with her new set of lungs! The doctor says that the lungs fit great, and that there weren't any complications during the surgery. Please continue to pray for a swift recovery.
February 24, 2013

Posted by Sister: 
Here we go. Solana is officially in transplant surgery! We appreciate your thoughts, love and prayers.



February 24, 2013



Posted by SB:

Attention all family and friends: Solana is currently in the operating room for her double-lung transplant. Please keep her and her loved ones in all of your thoughts and prayers at this time. I am currently waiting down at Stanford Hospital with her family in the ICU waiting room. I will keep posting updates as they come. Thank you all for your prayers and support.



February 23, 2013



Posted by SB:
Thank you everyone for your prayers and support. Solana's surgery was scheduled to begin at 10:30pm. Please continue to pray for a successful surgery and a swift recovery. I will do my best to update you all as we receive more news.


February 23, 2013



Prayers everyone. I just got the call. Stanford is sending a transport as I type this.


No comments:

Post a Comment