Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Another Day, Another Doctor Appointment

Yesterday, I had a follow up at my CF clinic. After a bout with the stomach flu and then a miserable head cold, I am happy to say that my lung function stayed the same and my weight didn't change either. My sinuses were still draining, but at least it was all clear. I told my doctor that Jalapeno Cornbread worked wonders for my cold. He laughed and told me that he didn't think he could prescribe it to the other CFers with colds.

I'm serious though, my grandfather gave me some of that cornbread when my sinuses were so swollen that I had an unbearable headache. The cornbread worked faster than the Advil I was taking. I spent most
 of my cold eating Mexican food, just to keep my sinuses happy.

The rest of my appointment went fairly well. I had my usual complaint about not being able to be as active as I used to. Not much he can do there. And we went over the pain in my back (I tore a muscle a few months ago and the pain has been slow to go away). We talked about my crazy blood sugars (mostly lows) and ideas on how to put on more weight. We talked about how much fun I have riding on my grandfather's quad (and how much gunk it clears out). My doctor recommended that I should ride the quad at least twice a week. I guess if the doctor orders it I should do as he says. Darn :o)  Then he ordered a bunch of labs, I took a Xanex (I have a real phobia of needles) and went down to the lab.

That was the fastest lab draw I've ever had. And the technician had a lot of vials to fill. Of course the Xanex worked a little too fast. I had a hard time focusing on stuff and kept dropping my notebook.

Don't think I was crazy enough to drive myself home after that. My mom drove me to my appointment. And she drove me home. I took a nap on the way home. I went to bed early and slept like a log. So, the Xanex was really helpful with having labs done. I just can't plan anything for the rest of my day. And I don't like the drugged feeling. I feel the same way when I take Benadryl. So it's pretty safe to say that I'm only taking the stuff for labs and that's it. Luckily, my doctor is aware of my problem so he only schedules labs when necessary.

So now I am clear headed, it's a bright sunny day out (not normal California winter weather). I think I'll follow doctor's orders and take the quad out. With a helmet of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment